Life Study Term 4: The Foundry and the Nude
Tuesdays 22 October – 26 November
10am – 4:30pm + Foundry Visit on 17 December
Observation and play are key to working with the figure and challenging stereotypes. In this unique immersive course students unlock convention to work with a life model, creating a small sculpture in wax of the draped figure. Explore the expressive opportunities of drapery whilst capturing the spirit of the figure. Find new creative methods to suggest movement and integrate your intuitive observations with a further understanding of the structure of the human form.
A foundry visit, to observe the technical processess involved in taking a work in wax to a bronze cast, + a small sculpture cast in bronze, is included in the course cost. Whilst the opportunity to cast in bronze is offered, it is not essential.
All students can choose whether to cast their works and the course costings below reflect these different options.
Some life-drawing experience is an advantage.
- Discussion and demonstration of working in wax.
- Introduction of the model.
- Working with the model in relation to the material.
- How different artists use their knowledge of the body to express deeper emotional concepts. Examples are given of contemporary artists working in this field.
- Common problems and how to deal with them.
- Working principles of the body’s structure in space in relation to drapery.
- The Foundry and foundry processes will be covered on a visit to Crawford’s Casting in Ashfield on December 17th.
Earlybird: $725.00 + bronze costs (see below)
General: $805 + bronze costs (see below)
Cost per student for a sculpture cast in bronze dimensions 10 x 10 x 10 cm: $300 + GST + Liver of Salt Patina
Cost per student for a sculpture cast in bronze dimensions 15 x 15 x 15 cm: $420 + GST + Liver of Salt Patina
The rates for bronze casting have been specially discounted by Crawford’s Casting for this course and do not reflect the going rates.
The cost of the patina is done at a group rate to reduce costs.
The final costs (bronze casting + patina) would be payable at the end of the course.